Monday Mantra: Say Cheese: The Hidden Power of Smiling
Mother Teresa said: “I will never understand all the good that a simple smile can accomplish.”
The most beautiful and touching thing in the world is a baby’s sweet smile. Its seems no short of a miracle when a baby looks up at you and graces you with that tiny, toothless grin. A smile, even as grown ups, is a gesture that welcomes, soothes and tells us things are fine.
- One smile can generate the same level of stimulation as up to 2000 bars of chocolate
- Smile reduces levels of stress enhancing hormones called cortisols
- Smile increases the level of mood enhancing hormones called endorphins
- More than 30% of us smile more than 20 times a day.
- Less than 14% smile less than 5 times
- Babies smile 400 times a day!!
- We smile more often when we are around babies
A simple smile makes you look attractive and feel good. It gets people to perceive you as more trustworthy. A smile is contagious, diffuses tension and builds relationships faster.
I found this brilliant infographic that talks about all we need to know about the power of a smile:
So smile more. Smile at people more. It costs nothing and has only benefits!